I like this approach to balancing the monument madness. . .(NYT)
“Instead of arguing over whether to leave up or take down these displays of the Ten Commandments,” read his ensuing comedy routine, “my suggestion is to put up displays of the Bill of Rights next to them and let people comparison shop.”
For our desperately, fearfully Christian Culture, I still have a few questions:
About these cherished Ten Commands from ancient history (see Deuteronomy 5). . .
1) “I brought you out of the house of slavery. . .You shall have no other gods before me” (Excuse me, Bible Believers, ARE there other gods? If so, how did you choose YOUR GOD from among all the candidates? And, by the way, were YOU brought out of slavery, or does this now refer to the African Slave Trade most of your Christian ancestors engaged in or supported?)
2) “You shall not make an idol (a form, an image) and bow down to worship it.” (Pardon me, but have you ever considered that JESUS might be your IDOL. . .and a peculiarly American Idol? I mean, he sure looks pretty White in your pictures/images/idols. Could JESUS actually be the Greatest Idol Ever?! How would You vote?)
3) “You shall not make wrongful use of the name of YHVH.” (If this is God’s Real Name, why don’t you use it, or maybe you MIS-use it by saying it, or mis-pronouncing it, or replacing it with “Lord” or “Jesus”? Sorry, just asking).
4) “Observe the Sabbath day and keep it holy.” (So, are all you faithful followers keeping Saturday holy these days? Of course, you wouldn’t Work on the Sabbath now, would you? We have no doubt you would never, ever spend The Lord’s Day playing or watching violent sports contests!)
5) “Honor your father and your mother.” (And, I guess you would never seek to lower their social security or, God forbid, send them to a nursing home instead of honoring them at home. We know you would never discriminate against an elderly, honorable person)
6) “You shall not murder.” (Obviously you wouldn’t support ANY form of killing, right? Like war; like poverty, hunger, homelessness; like capital punishment. Right?)
7) “You shall not commit adultery.” (And your Christian Nation is a model of happy marriages, fidelity and a low divorce rate? True?)
8) “You shall not steal.” (We know this means you never engage in business practices that cheat anyone and you always pay your fair share of taxes. Oh, and you make sure that your country doesn’t take any lands or resources from others. . .of course. And you would Never have supported the stealing of This Land from the Native Peoples who first lived here. Of course you wouldn’t)
9) “You shall not bear false witness.” (As a Good Christian you would never lie at any time, for any reason. You would definitely not support your leaders who make up stories to take us into war, or treat people badly anywhere in the world. Oh, and you also wouldn’t have said an “Amen” to the broken treaties of the past)
10) “You shall not covet your neighbor’s wife. Neither desire your neighbor’s house or property or slave.” (Well, we feel assured that you would never want what someone else has! You especially wouldn’t look at someone else’s spouse and want Them for yourself. You certainly speak out against any exploitation or demeaning images of women. Don’t you? Oh, almost forgot: We are all very sure that you would Never Ever Desire Your Christian Neighbor’s SLAVES! Thank You!)
And Thank You, Christian America, for doing your darnedest to set these Ten Commands into stone and fight to have them in every court, classroom, congress and public space. We all sure appreciate the message that forces upon us and the next generation. Which message? The one that says:
You shall ignore all common sense, reason and talk of E Pluribus Unum, and abide by the commands handed down by our Jewish (we mean, Christian) ancestors thousands of years ago. You shall put these commands above all votes and laws and leaders, and live by them as good Christians . . .like US.
OR. . .
Everyone gets a Stone. . .a Monument. . .to Establish their Beliefs
OR. . .
See the article. . .We The People learn our own Constitution and Bill of Rights